O Dark Thirty

I woke up at 3:30 this morning.   I do not like getting up in the middle of the night.   Toby has been crowing at odd hours because I have a heat lamp in the coop right now.   And then my mind starts going.   I thought it was Saturday, but it's not.   You know how the mind gets wandering when you are awake when you should be sleeping.    My horse(s), painting the bedroom, one more Christmas gift, what kind of warmer coat do I want, I need to buy chicken feed, I have to pick up a few things at the store.....and so on it goes.   So I'm drinking my morning coffee and thinking I will need a nap today.


I took a few photos yesterday and this one was my favorite.   This calf's mama was staring at me (because cows stare a lot).   When she reached her calf, they both took off running toward their friends.   It's been fun watching the calves play in the pasture.   They only have 2 right now and they grow up very fast.   Harry and Gunny are amazed that a truck drives through and drops massive amounts of hay for the cattle.   They stand at the fence and stare in awe, wondering why they don't get truckloads of hay for their own enjoyment.   Poor little starvin' donkeys.


Enjoy your Friday, however you are spending it.   zzzzzzzz

Comments

i love your header ... makes it really feel like fall. are those black eyed susans or what type of flower? maybe a wild flower? gosh, this picture would be perfect for "friday fences" ... would you please check out my blog & see what i'm speaking of. every friday. it's such fun. you get to see all sorts of fences from around the world. have a good weekend. hope you will sleep in tomorrow morning. (:
TexWisGirl said…
you need to link in to friday's fences.

www.lifeaccordingtojanandjer.blogspot.com
Janie said…
Love the header! Makes me feel WARM!It's not even winter yet!

One of our roosters used to crow at that time too. The we found out he was seeing a car on the next block back out of the driveway for work that time every morning. We closed up the window so he couldn't see the light and he stopped. Roosters react to the light in their eye. Make sure the coop is draft free, and I bank hay against any windows for drafts when its cold, especially when it snows. Keep deep litter in the coop, and I put litter, hay leaves outside on the snow for them to walk on..and I give them warm water in the run if it is just barely over freezing, I put it in the coop if it is below freezing.. They really do not need any extra heat in the coop for the winter. Vaseline on combs and wattles helps keep them from freezing. (I don't do that and never really had a problem, even with last years hard winter, but for that reason I choose birds with smaller wattles and combs)

Hope you get some rest.
Bee Haven Bev said…
Your pictures are always lovely, Denise!! I sure hope you get a little nappy today. Have a great weekend,
Bev
Gone Country said…
I've been there done that when waking up in the middle of the night. No fun!

Great photos!

I hope you get a good, long nap today!
What a great picture!!

I hope you got your nap today--I'd like to take one as well, but honestly, I've had so much sugar from all the baking I've done that I don't think I can! ;-))
fromsophiesview said…
Early morning wakenings are so unnerving sometimes and then the head games...oh my...exhausting they can be...so...there are others out there who suffer from the same tiredness in the afternoon after waking in the wee hours...excuse me while I snore..zzz..snore!
beth said…
still life with chickens is a great book...i bet you would love it :)
Anonymous said…
Poor donks. ;P
There are a lot of us who are waking up in the middle of the night ... thoughts and to-do lists spinning in our heads ... slipping out of bed to start the day in the dark. You are not alone.
Anonymous said…
You're right cows do stare... a lot! Nice shot!
Nancy said…
I like the perspective and the dis-focus (is that a word?). Hope you had a nice nap. :)
CountryDew said…
Intriguing shot. I like it a lot.

My head always stays full of stuff. My husband says I never stop thinking. I think it is some kind of curse sometimes! LOL.
Reena said…
Oh poor little donkeys! And I know what you mean about waking up in the middle of the night. Ugh!
Ellen said…
I was up too!! We should have called each other. I woke up at 2:30 on that very same night and I know what you mean about the racing mind. Everything that is going on just kept racing through my mind. No matter how much I told it to settle down, it just wouldn't happen. Sorry you had to go through this. Hope you got some rest.

Popular Posts