Pretty Is As Pretty Does

These really are faces only their mother could love.   I am pretty sure they have to be number one when it comes to the ugliest bird in the kingdom.   But they have an important job and you can always count on them.   They show up, sometimes in droves, to clean up the land of dead rotting creatures.   Who else is going to do it?   The only complaint they might have is there may not be enough dead ground squirrels on any given day to feed the whole group.   They might complain that hawks are invading their air space.   Other than that, I think they have a good life.   And I'd say pretty is as pretty does when it comes to turkey vultures.





Comments

Daryl said…
they are truly unattractive but as you point out they serve a purpose/have a place in the circle of life
Comfypjs said…
Believe it or not, I saw one standing right in the middle of a street off of First Street in downtown San Jose. Scared the bejeesus out of me. They look almost prehistoric. Blech!
Mary Ann said…
Around here, Keith and I call them "God's Cleanup Crew" and we love to see them. They DO fill such a good purpose, keeping our roads and pastures clean, and I love to watch them in the air.
TexWisGirl said…
i like them very much.
Anonymous said…
I see them snacking along our roadsides often. VERY ugly birds. I have to say, that this mother could not learn to love a face like that.
Nancy said…
I commented on another blog yesterday we should be so thankful for them. I think they are pretty cool birds myself.
Michelle said…
I think they are pretty interesting. They have a tough job, but what would we do without them?!
I once saw a few roost in a tress in our yard..it gave me the creeps...I kept thinking...do they know something that I don't?...:)JP
Hi Denise Scavenging is their job and that is how God planned it and this as well he did otherwise the place would be very smelly. Margaret

Popular Posts