Just A Normal Sunday?

When I got home from the barn yesterday, late morning, I saw a very large red tailed hawk sitting on the fence next to the chicken coop.   I rushed over to wave my arms and chase it away, noticing that it dropped something on the ground as it flew away.   I carefully walked over, hoping it wasn't one of my chickens, and found that it was a dastardly ground squirrel.   Whew!   I got a scoop of scratch and hurried all the chickens into their yard, grabbing one off her nest in the horse trailer, and counting heads when I was finished.   In their yard, they can get under the large coop and also hunker down inside the smaller coop if they need protection.   Mission accomplished.

The hawk returned a while later to claim its meal and took its time eating all it wanted.   After departing for distant trees, the vultures were next in line for lunch.   It's amazing to me how quickly they know something is dead, and they show up in full force to finish off the meal.   Harry and Gunny were out and claimed the space under the eucalyptus tree, but the vultures were not concerned about the chubby equines and went about their business.   I thought the donkeys might chase after them, but they also seemed not to care.   Well, the odor might have been a bit unsettling.






Just another Sunday here.  

Comments

TexWisGirl said…
so cute! my dogs hate the vultures. they detest that smell.
Lynne said…
Is that what we call a "bray?"
What I would do with vultures, hawks swooping and snooping around!
This N That said…
They sure are ugly creatures. I'm glad your chickens are safe and sound. Hope you had a good weekend.
Daryl said…
vultures are so unattractive …. you my dear are a quick on your feet woman i guess you have to be with critters in danger
Tabor said…
Vultures are important in getting rid of all the stuff we want to ignore. Glad the hawk did not get your chickens. What do you used the donkeys for?
I'm glad you got your chickens up in time- those hawks are relentless. Love the expressions on Harry and Gunny's faces- pee eww is what they seem to be saying.
That hawk almost had chicken for dessert!...:)JP
shirley said…
OK, those donkeys are just hilarious! So glad your chickens were OK.
C-ingspots said…
Oh my word - your donkeys are absolutely adorable!!! :) Enjoyed your pictures so much, and am amazed at how very dry your surrounding landscape is. Hope you get some much needed rain soon!
Anonymous said…
I'm surprised there was anything left of the ground squirrel for the vultures! Maybe they were hoping for a piece of donkey, too ;-)

Popular Posts