A Funk and Writing It Down

I've been in a little bit of a funk.   I'm not exactly sure why, but I thought if I just wrote it down I might snap out of it.    You don't have to read it since it's not a happy go lucky post.   I just want to put it here and then let it go.   I think this event may have triggered it.

About two weeks ago, a lady I know went missing from her home east of Paso Robles.   She owns a hair salon and I've been going there for 15 years.   Her daughter has been my stylist the entire time.   I'm not friends with them in that we don't socialize or chat outside of the salon.   But 15 years is a long time.   Amanda now has two young children who spend a lot of time with their grandma.   They live close to one another, as in practically across the road.   Nancy is/was my age, lost her husband 6 years ago to a heart attack, and her younger daughter to Cystic Fibrosis about 10 years ago.   She has a son and daughter and grandchildren. 

So Nancy is just missing and since it's been so long, it's not hopeful.   Discussions on FB all refer to a bloody blanket found on the road a few miles away.   The Sheriffs office immediately asked for information from the public and also requested video from anyone in that area who may have surveillance or game cameras on their property.   Since then, there hasn't been anything announced publicly.

I was scheduled for a hair appointment yesterday which I was certain was not going to happen.   I called the salon and left a message as I just didn't know what else to do.   It's unsettling and I feel awful for the family.   What do you say to young children who are used to have their grandma in their lives all the time?   

I don't know.   It's just very sad and I hope they get some answers.   This used to feel like a small rural area.   With the wineries and the focus on tourism, the feeling has changed.   I'm not so sure I like it anymore, at least not as I did five years ago.   There is more gang activity in our towns, there is an increased problem with drug activity.   Paso Robles, Atascadero and Templeton are not big cities.   But we're halfway between LA and San Francisco, we're about 100 miles west of the awful Central Valley, and ultimately bad stuff finds its way.

It's just been weighing on me a little.   

If you made it through this post, here are some pretty roses as a reward.   This was really just for me, needing to write things out and see if it eases my funk.   




Comments

Hilary said…
That sucks........it's always tough when the reality of the not so nice world intrudes into what we feel is a safe place. But it happens. And funks happen, for lots of reasons......just be kind to yourself.
That is terrible Denise. It sometimes is the not knowing that is worse but I hope soon the police wil fin answers we are living in a scary world and I fear for my grand children. When I was young we never felt unsafe anywhere.
Well that's awful and very unsettling.. no wonder you're in a funk. Here's hoping your friend is found safe somewhere, but the odds aren't in favor. Keep us posted.

Lynne said…
Unsettling for sure . . .
A funk . . . I get that . . .
Not knowing . . . the “what happened” seems to make it all the more unsettling . . .
Sad . . .

Gorgeous photos of the Roses . . .
Please let us know if you hear anything more . . .
Pepper Medley said…
We don't have crimes like that in our immediate area, but in Roanoke, which is 20-30 minutes away, depending on which part of Roanoke you wish to visit, seems to have a lot of crime. It's disheartening that our world has become so violent. It's sad to think that someone you saw on a pretty regular basis appears now to be gone. Hate to think of what her family is feeling. Sending you a hug.... you have been quiet and now I know why.

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
It's always disturbing when something like that happens to someone you know or know of. Not that it should happen to a stranger, of course. I hope the lady is found.
I've been keeping up with this via KSBY on the internet...very scary. My prayers are with her and her family, and I hope there is some good news soon. I think in general the Central Coast is pretty safe, but you are right, the tourism has changed things, and not for the better.
Carol said…
I am so sorry to hear of this missing woman. It scares me to go alone anywhere these days as you just never know what is going to happen to you. It is ridiculous! I pray that her family gets some answers and I feel for those grandchildren.
Green Monkey said…
I'm jumping around and out or order but has there been any news? very sad... my heart aches for the family. not having answers is terrible.

Popular Posts