It's in the Details

We have new pinecones growing on our trees.   They are very small, about an inch or two long.  


This is a big deal to me because a few years ago, a tree squirrel moved in, built a nest, and raised two young scamps.   It was the first time since I've lived here that I've seen tree squirrels on our property.   Over the course of the next few months, these fun loving three ate every single one of our pine cones.   I'm not kidding.   We had pinecone remains everywhere.   Then they moved away,  I suppose to find another property whose pine trees they could ravage.

We have three pine trees.   Although the one shown above only has baby pinecones, another one has some that are a bit more mature.


Maybe it's just me, but I always think the markings on a new pine cone look like a fossil of some sort.   

Here's a closer look.


As much as I enjoyed watching the little furry rascals, I hope they stay away and leave these pinecones alone.   They deserve a chance to grow up and do what pinecones do.   

It's Monday, it's raining, and the wind is blowing again.   Oh boy.   


Comments

Love the close ups of the cones Denise
Tabor said…
Those are lovely pine cones. I love the detail that you captured!So many people walk by and miss the beauty of nature.
This N That said…
I didn't know that squirrels ate pine cones..We have tons of squirrels and pine trees.. I've never seen them with a pine cone..Great close ups, Denise..
C-ingspots said…
I just noticed the other day that our pine is growing baby pine cones too. We've been in our house 22 years now, and until recently we'd seen maybe 1 or 2 squirrels in that time. Since the planting of the filbert orchard next door, I'm betting we see a dramatic increase in our squirrel population. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing...like you say, they are cute. The weather - oh my gosh - it snowed here this morning...sigh

Popular Posts